This low-cost airline is situated in Gurgaon was founded in 2006. Its primary hub Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) and secondary hubs are the Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) and Kolkata’s Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU).
The airline operates to 46 destinations includes both domestic and international. It flies to 33 domestic destinations as well as Nepal, Oman, Singapore, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates.
1) IndiGo baggage policy allowances:
|Free baggage allowance||Hand baggage||Check-in baggage|
|Maximum Weight||Only one bag weighing not more than 7 kgs.||Domestic flights||15kg|
|Bangkok, Dhaka, Kuala Lumpur, Male’, Phuket, Hong Kong & Kathmandu||20kg|
|Colombo, Doha, Dubai, Muscat, Sharjah, Singapore, Abu Dhabi & Kuwait Flights||30kg|
|Dimensions||55cm x 35cm x 25cm||158cm (62 inches)
(Length + Width + Height)
2) Infant allowances:
Just like infant have different rules for buying a ticket in the same way they have different baggage policy rules:
|baggage||Hand Baggage||Check In Baggage|
|Domestic Travel||Up to 07 kg||NIL|
|international Travel||Up to 07 kg||NIL|
IndiGo allows the Customer to carry one additional personal article such as ladies’ purse or a small bag containing laptop but it should not be weighing more than 3 kg.
- Any liquid should be of 100 ml at max; and can be fitted comfortably into a transparent, re-sealable 1 litre plastic bag.
- Excess baggage needs to be booked at least 24 hours before the journey
- The International flight should be within 24 hours of the domestic flight
IndiGo offers great prices on purchasing prepaid excess baggage when you are traveling on your domestic IndiGo flight and connecting to/from another international airline. This allowance is over and above your eligible baggage allowance.
|Baggage International (Connection)||8kg pre-paid||15kg Pre-paid||30kg Pre-paid|
5) Exceed my free baggage weight allowance:
|Domestic Travel||International Travel|
per additional kg
(or as per base currency of reservation)
per additional kg
6) Prohibited items both in cabin and check-in baggage:
|Compressed gases||deeply refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable|
|poisonous||butane oxygen, liquid nitrogen, aqualung cylinders and compressed gas cylinders|
|Corrosives||acids, alkalis, mercury and wet cell batteries and apparatus containing mercury
Explosives, munitions, fireworks and flares, ammunition including blank cartridges, handguns, fireworks, pistol caps
|Flammable liquids and solids||lighter refills, lighter fuel, matches, paints, thinners, fire-lighters, lighters, matches, radioactive material|
|Oxidizing materials||bleaching powder and peroxides|
|Poisons and infectious substances||such as insecticides, weed-killers and live virus materials, Fish (including other seafood), animals, birds, insects in any form, whether alive and/or dead and/or frozen and/or dried and/or cooked|
7) Prohibited items in cabin baggage:
|Dry cell batteries||Knives, scissors, Swiss army knives and other sharp instruments|
|Weapons such as whips, nan-chakus, baton, or stun gun||Toy replicas of fire arms and ammunition|
|Electronic devices which cannot be switched off||Aerosols and liquids*|
NOTE: IndiGo recommends that all these items should be carried in Cabin Baggage only.
- Fragile items
- Perishable items and precious items (cameras, jewelry, money, electronics, etc.)
8) Rules for carrying of Alcoholic beverages:
Passengers may carry up to 5 Liters of alcoholic beverages as part of their checked-in baggage but keeping these instructions in mind:
- The alcoholic beverage should be retail packaging and packed appropriately (to prevent any damage).
- Alcohol content in the beverage should not more than 70%.
- This does not apply if the alcoholic beverage contains 24% or less alcohol by volume the above limitation of 5 Liters.
- These are also permitted in carry-on baggage if purchased from the airport but should be placed in transparent re-sealable plastic bag and should not exceed 1 liter.
Size of 1 liter bag is 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm or 25 cm x 15 cm
- The container should fit into your bag comfortably
IndiGo assumes no responsibility for wear and tear to luggage which includes:
- Broken wheels or feet
- Minor cuts
- Loss of external locks, security straps
- Damage to any protruding part of the baggage
- Damage resulting from over packing and damage to retractable luggage handles
- Scratches, torn zippers, straps, handles, scuffs, dents soiling or manufacturer defects
- Unsuitably packed, perishable, damaged or fragile Baggage, or for water damage to non-waterproof Baggage.
- Any other wear and tear
“Jaipur to Bangalore via Mumbai. We were a group of 6 students who happened to miss our flight. The IndiGo staff at the Jaipur airport as well as the security were all really helpful and they helped us get through the critical situation. They were with us till the issue got solved. We will never forget this experience which was turned into a pleasant one by the IndiGo staff.”
“Udaipur to Mumbai. Beautiful blue plane, one of the best low-cost airlines in India. route goes to every corner of India. Flew from a small city to Mumbai, the whole journey was excellent from staff welcoming on board until landing. On time as well. There is no reason to give a score under 10. Worth this price.”