The mission of SpiceJet (SG) is to be the low-cost airline in India. It was founded in 2005 and situated in Gurgaon. It is the third largest airline in the country which is known to carry to the highest number of domestic passengers. Its primary hubs are Chennai International Airport (MAA), Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) and Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD). And the secondary hub is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM).
Every airline has its terms and condition and different baggage policies. That is why here we are discussing the Spicejet baggage policy which includes all the rules regarding the carrying of checked and hand baggage.
- 7 kgs: includes laptop and duty free shopping bags
- 115cms (L+W+H) on boeing flights
- 108 cms (L+W+H) on bombardier flights
Passenger with infants are allowed to carry an additional piece of hand baggage of maximum 7kg but make sure you will not exceed the size dimensions.
The dimensions of the Hand Baggage should not exceed (L+B+H) – 55cm+35cm+25cm totaling 115cms (45 inches) on Boeing flights and 50cm+35cm+23cm totaling 108cms (42.5 inches) on Bombardier flights. The hand baggage allowance is 7 kg (which would include Laptop and duty-free shopping bags) per adult and child (any passenger above 2 yrs of age). Strolley bags with the above-specified dimensions will be allowed
Checked-in baggage allowance:
- SpiceJet provides free baggage allowance of 15 Kg per passenger as checked-in baggage. In the case of International travel, the Baggage allowance of 20 Kg (30 Kg in case passenger is travelling to/from Colombo, Kabul, Dubai, Muscat, Hong Kong, Jeddah) is allowed.
- There will be random checks at boarding gates for hand baggage size and weight, and if found oversized or overweight, INR 400/ Kg (effective from 22nd June 2018) will be chargeable, and additionally, the bag may be taken from the passenger to be placed in the hold.
1) Both for international and domestic flights:
- Sports/ Skiing equipment
- Golf bags
- large musical instruments
- Surf Boards
- LED TV
Of sizes, more than 39 inches and other such large and/ or out of gauge items will be termed as Special Baggage. Special Baggage, when registered as Checked-in Baggage shall be subject to a Handling Fee
|Domestic (Within India)||1000 INR|
|International (Ex-India)||2000 INR|
|Ex-Dubai||AED 150 + (AED 40* + AED 45*)|
A passenger traveling on SpiceJet from a foreign country to an Indian city and traveling onwards to a domestic sector booked under the same PNR will not be charged any additional excess baggage.
- Connecting passengers under same PNR from a foreign Origin country to another foreign country destination via India on SpiceJet will not be charged any additional excess baggage or handling charges for any above-mentioned articles at the transit station.
- Maximum two (02) LCD / LED TVs can be carried by one passenger as checked in baggage. (Both the LCD/LED TVs to be charged).
- Maximum size of LED / LCD TV that shall be accepted for carriage is 55 inches.
2) Carriage of Liquor:
Maximum of 5 litres with an alcohol percentage between 24% and 70% in total is permitted in retail packaging as checked-in baggage. A passenger may carry Alcohol if it is purchased from Duty-Free shops (in International flights) and should be accompanied by the bill.
NOTE: Carrying liquor to/from Surat, Porbandar and Kandla, Ahmedabad & Patna is strictly prohibited as Gujarat / Bihar are dry states.
3) Check in for Connecting Flights:
- In case Passengers fail to show boarding at the point of transit, he/she will be treated as a ‘Gate No Show’. The Baggage of such Passengers will be offloaded and handed over to the Passengers or the relevant airport authority at the transit station, without any liability on the part of SpiceJet.
- At the Airport:Passenger(s) carrying more than the baggage allowance(i.e. 15/30 kg on Economy/Business Class respectively) as mentioned above will be charged at rate INR 400/ Kg (effective from 03rd May 2019) for domestic travel only.
- Prepaid excess baggagecan be booked 6 hours prior to the departure of the flight at the following rates via our website or call centre (revised rate is effective from 20th July 2018):
|Domestic: EXCESS BAGGAGE PRE-PURCHASE (revised rate with effect from 11 Oct, 2018)|
|5 kg Prepaid||Up to 1975|
|10 kg Prepaid||Up to 3950|
|15 kg Prepaid||Up to 5925|
|20 kg Prepaid||Up to 7900|
|30 kg Prepaid||Up to 11850|
|At Airport (for Economy/Business Class)||INR 400/ Kg (w.e.f. 03rd May, 2019)|
4) Articles, which may be carried free in addition to the Baggage allowance (subject to applicable security regulations), are:-
- An overcoat wrap or blanket.
- An umbrella or walking stick.
- A lady’s handbag, lady’s pocket-book or lady’s purse.
- A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
- A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars.
- Infant’s food for consumption in flight.
- A fully collapsible invalid’s wheelchair and/or a pair of crutches and/or braces or other prosthetic device for the Passenger’s use.
5) Items which are likely to endanger the aircraft or persons or property on board the aircraft include:
1) Compressed gases (deeply refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable and poisonous)
- Liquid nitrogen
- Aqualung cylinders
- Compressed gas cylinders (camping gas)
- Wet cell batteries
- Apparatus containing mercury
- Fireworks and flares,
- Blank cartridges
- Pistols or any other weapons and pistol caps
3) Flammable liquids and solids
- lighter refills
- lighter fuel
- matches, paints
- lighters that need inverting before ignition, substances liable to spontaneous combustion, substances which emit flammable gases on contact with water
“Vishakhapatnam to Hyderabad. I had a pleasant flight with Spicejet. The cabin staff were polite and so was the overall crew from the airport to the flight itself. The flight left relatively on time and was short and sweet. I would recommend it to others.”
“I was flying from Hyderabad to New Delhi on spice-jet Flight No SG 126 on 27th April 2019. During the security check, I forgot to collect my laptop from the tray and went to the boarding gates. Just 30 mins before the flight time I realize that my hand baggage is light and recognize that I forget the laptop at the security counter. I asked support from the SpiceJet security staff. They ask to go and check with the CISF and send Spicejet staff) with me. But the Lost and found store was locked. My laptop was very important to me I was ready to leave my flight and wait for the next morning, get my laptop and take another flight. But the staff said to me that he shall take full responsibility and will collect it on my behalf and will send it the next day. By his level of confidence and assurance, I got convinced and boarded my flight. This Spicejet guy did all the formalities and sends it to me the next day. After 24 hours I got my laptop in Delhi. I salute the dedication spice-jet staff to their work.”