Flying first time in an airplane is a great experience. Many questions arise in people’s mind before a journey. They have doubts about what they should carry with themselves and which items are restricted. Here we are with basic information about the baggage and its policies while flying with Lufthansa. So, enjoy your flight journey to India by taking into account these small tips.
Carry-on baggage depends on the type of ticket you have purchased.
For economy class and premium economy class, you can carry single carry-on baggage up to 8kg. In business or first class, two items of carry-on baggage are allowed with a maximum 8 kg weight each. The baggage may include trolley, foldable buggy, or a garment bag.
- Max. dimensions for carry-on baggage: 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
- For foldable bags: 57 x 54 x 15 cm.
Free Baggage weight and quantity depends on the class of ticket you have purchased.
The baggage you can carry is with a maximum size of 158 cm.
For Intercontinental Flights:
|Economy||Economy Class Light fare||Premium Economy||Business Class||First Class|
|1 carry-on baggage: 8kg||1 baggage up to: 23 kg||1 carry-on baggage: 8kg||2 carry-on baggage up to: 8 kg||2 carry-on baggage each up to: 8 kg|
|1 baggage up to: 23kg||
|2 baggage up to: 23kg||2 baggage, each up to 32 kg||3 items of baggage, each up to: 32 kg|
Free Baggage for Children:
- Children of 0-2 years are allowed for a free baggage i.e 1-checked baggage with a maximum 23 kg and dimension of 158 cm. Also, they can carry a child seat/ foldable chair/ a baby basket.
- For children above 2 years have the same baggage policy as adults.
- On Economy light fare the children are allowed with carry-on baggage and no-checked baggage is allowed to them. It may include 1 child seat/foldable pushchair/baby basket. There will be no checked-in baggage for them.
Sports equipment can be taken on the flight but, you have to make the reservation early for it. Also, on each item make sure you apply a tag with name and telephone number on it. The rates for carrying these items depend on the route you are traveling and the weight of it.
-The CAD (for baggage drop-off in Canada)
– EUR (for baggage drop-off in Europe)
– USD (for baggage drop-off in all countries not listed above)
Excess and Special Baggage:
In economy and premium economy baggage is considered as excess if it weighs more than 23 kg or is larger than 158 cm (length +breadth +height).
- In Business and First class, the baggage is considered as excess if its dimension exceeds 158cm.
- For the excess baggage flat charges may apply. Also if the sports baggage is exceeding the allowance of free baggage then it is also considered as special baggage.
- In case you have excess baggage; then it requires early booking.
Charges for special baggage:
|Within Europe||52 kg maximum weight||200 x 75 x 65 cm||200 EUR||300 USD/ CAD|
|Intercontinental||52 kg maximum weight||200 x 75 x 65 cm||300 EUR||400 USD/ CAD|
In case of delayed and missing baggage:
Maybe sometime you may not get your baggage on time. At that time you have a right to report about your missing baggage at the airport.